Re: [octave-forge] parallel-4.0.0 package release

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: [octave-forge] parallel-4.0.0 package release
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 18:55:29 +0200

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 07:47:30PM -0500, sshah wrote:
> Thank you for updating the parallel package.
>
> I noticed that global variables in the workspace are no longer accessible
> during parallel execution of functions.  This behavior is new in parallel
> 4.0.0.
>
> Up to parallel version 3.1.3, global variables declared in the workspace
> were accessible (reading) in the asynchronously executing processes
> (threads).   At the very least, it would be valuable to clearly state how
> the expected behavior differs from serial function execution as in arrayfun.

The help text of parcellfun refers to

'parallel_doc ("limitations")'

There, this limitation is described.

With the new implementation of 'parallel' (which was necessary),
passing globals to the asynchroneously executing processes would have
to be explicitly implemented. I'm not sure it'd be worth doing
this. It would imply an additional overhead, too. For global switches,
you may be able to use the Octave startup file.

Olaf