Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Octave is really slow and “not responding”
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 16:09:58 +0900

<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58815879/octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre>

>>> , but I can't  find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime
>>> Environment\"
>>> I already had Octave 5.1.0 installed on this PC some time ago and it
worked
>>> fine. I thought maybe there are old files, which cause conflicts. I
searched
>>> for old Octave files, but I found none.
>>>  Hopefully, I posted this at the right place, if not please correct me.
>>> Thanks for your time and help.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Max
>>>

>> Dear Max,
>>
>> Thank you for your report.  Is there anything special about your MS
>> Windows 10 system?  E.g. installed on a network-drive, special
>> permission management (work PC), extra malware "anti-virus" software?
>> Do you face the same problems on another PC of yours, too?
>>
>> Best,
>> Kai
>
> Dear Kai,
>
> thanks for your answer,
>
> I don't think there is anything special about my OS. I use Sophos
> Antivirus, but no special persmissions, etc. Unfortunately, I don't own
> a second PC.
>
> I'm sorry for the bad formatting of my first message.
>
> Best,
>
> Max

Can you just try to temporarily disable Sophos (any other running
software) and see if it has an impact on the start time of Octave?

HTH,
Kai