Octave is really slow and “not responding”

From: Max Schulz
Subject: Octave is really slow and “not responding”
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 08:18:42 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Everybody,

I installed Octave 5.2.0_1 64 bit on Windows 10 via the installer. The
Octave GUI starts really slow (>20s). When I try moving the window or
creating a new file, Octave freezes for several minutes and sometimes shows
the message "The application is not responding" .
 things I tried:

Looking at CPU and RAM usage, found no problem there
restarting the PC
reinstalling Octave, also deleting the folder "octave" in
C:\CurrentUser.config\ before reinstalling
downloading zip and starting from octave.vbs (same problem)
Octave also doesn't find JRE, so I tried this:
stackoverflow.com:Octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58815879/octave-cant-find-jre-while-i-have-installed-jre>

, but I can't  find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime
Environment\"
I already had Octave 5.1.0 installed on this PC some time ago and it worked
fine. I thought maybe there are old files, which cause conflicts. I searched
for old Octave files, but I found none.
 Hopefully, I posted this at the right place, if not please correct me.
Thanks for your time and help.

Best,
Max