Re: Paralleling in Octave

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Paralleling in Octave
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 16:49:57 +0900

On 4/21/20 2:46 AM, Maria Jose Casas Serrano wrote:
> Hi,
> It’s the first time I’m trying to parallelise some code and I’m stuck in
> a basic concept that I hope someone could help me with.
>
> First, I’ll try to explain what my code is about. I’m doing Evolutionary
> Computation and I have a large population of elements that represent the
> genomes of modelled plants. This population should be evaluated by a
> fitness function and then, some of the elements will evolve depending on
> the probabilities of some genetic operators.
>
> The bottleneck happens when evaluating them so, I thought that I could
> parallelise that part of the code.
>
> [...]
> However in the “inputparam2” and “inputparam3” parameters, the
> evaluationParallel function is receinving the second and third elements
> of the population.
>
> Do you know what I am doing wrong? Perhaps I misunderstood the
> parallelisation concept but I thought I could apply it in a piece of
> code meanwhile there weren’t dependencies with the rest of the process.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Cheers
>
> Maria J

Unfortunately, I have some trouble running your code.  It requires
octave-slf4o [1].  It would be nice to reduce it to simple "fprintf"
statements to avoid potential helpers to install dependencies
unnecessary for the problem.  Additionally, can you attach your code as
fully self-contained m-files, rather than pasting it into the email.
The code for generating "P" would also be nicer than a display of the
cell array.  Otherwise, I have to do the work to construct that cell
array myself.

HTH,
Kai

[1] https://github.com/apjanke/octave-slf4o