Re: nonlin_min function

From: Steph Bredenhann
Subject: Re: nonlin_min function
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 21:56:58 +0200

On 2020/04/06 10:54, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
On 4/6/20 2:49 PM, Steph Bredenhann wrote:
[...]

The variables are as follows, and please note that the values after %
for GPL_Do, etc are the values as calculated with Excel SOLVE function:

[...]
Dear Steph,

I attached all necessary codes as m-files.

Maybe there is a typo in your function "fn_BBR_GPL_RMSE()"?  In short:

   Dcalc = D = D0 + D1*t.^m;
   SRE = (D-Dcalc)./D;

In this case "SRE" is always zero, as "Dcalc = D" and no progress seems
to happen.  Furthermore "D" seems to be an input parameter of
"fn_BBR_GPL_RMSE()", which is unused then.

HTH,
Kai
Dear Kai

I have now abandoned nonlin_min and rather use fsolve, see attached edited .m files

The output is and seems quite good, will test further:

GPL parameters:
D0 = 0.000557218
D1 = 0.000053334
m  = 0.399999
GPL_RMSE  = 1.096952
fsolve outcome: GPL_cvg = 0:  maximum number of iterations exceeded   Iterations = 75

As you can see fsolve terminate with maximum iterations exceeded. Iterations reported = 75, however the fsolve default is 400 and although I increased MaxIter to 1000 the outcome stays the same. I assume the tolerances were met, but I still try to understand the tolerances, I work with defaults.

Any comments/improvements will be appreciated.

--
Steph