Re: Is double precision for floating point calculation the default?

From: ttonon
Subject: Re: Is double precision for floating point calculation the default?
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 07:33:24 -0500 (CDT)

José Abílio Matos wrote
> On Saturday, 21 March 2020 03.59.34 WET ttonon wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> In a program, I need all my calculations, which are floating point
>> decimal,
>> to be double precision (accurate to 10E-16).  Is that the default, or
>> must I
>> make an explicit command for that precision, and if so, what is the
>> command? Thanks.
>>
>> Tom
>
> Yes it is the default:
>
> As an example:
>
>>> class(5)
> ans = double
>>> eps(1)
> ans = 2.2204e-16
>
> --
> José Matos

Thanks.  It may be confusing because the answers contain only four
significant places after the decimal point.  Is there a command to force the
answer to display all 16 figures, as in

>> pi
ans =  3.1415926535897932?

Also a figure like 2.2204e-16 is accurate only to 2.e-16.  Correct?  (Just
want to be sure.)
Tom