Re: mkoctfile issues

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: mkoctfile issues
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 23:26:41 +0900

On 3/3/20 10:03 PM, Axel Coulon wrote:
> Le mar. 3 mars 2020 à 13:36, Kai Torben Ohlhus <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> a écrit :
>
>     On 3/3/20 8:19 PM, Axel Coulon wrote:
>     > Hi, I'm currently facing some issues with compiled .oct files.
>     Actually,
>     > I compiled custom functions which are working perfectly on other
>     systems
>     > but not on mine. I got this error : undefined symbol:
>     > _ZNK5ArrayISsE17resize_fill_valueEv
>     >
>     > I guess the problem is my GCC version (4.9) is different from the GCC
>     > version used to compile Octave and mkoctfile packages. Obviously, I
>     > cannot update GCC to a newer version.
>     >
>     > Any idea to solve this problem ?
>     >
>     > Thanks in advance,
>     >
>     > Axel
>     >

>     The best strategy is to compile the oct-files on the system you want to
>     run them.  Is there an obvious reason why not to follow this strategy?
>     Does one of your systems not have the possibility to run "mkoctfile"?
>
>     More general, what is the setup of you two systems and how did you
>     install Octave on them?
>
>     HTH,
>     Kai
>
> My explanations wasn't probably clear sorry. The oct-files are already
> compiled on the system I want to run them and I have installed Octave
> 4.2.2 with apt. I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.
>
> Here is a summary of the process I follow, on the same system :
>
> - Install Octave with apt (Last version available : 4.2.2)
> - Compile the oct-files with a Makefile using GCC 4.9.3 and mkoctfile
> - Try to use the functions but get the error message "undefined symbol"
>
> The compilation happens without any error/warning message.
> Moreover, these oct-files was working on an oldest Octave version
> (4.0.0) on the same system.

Please keep the mailing list in the CC, so others may benefit from our
conversation as well and answer at the bottom of the email
(bottom-posting [1]) to facilitate our conversation.

Thank you for the detailed information on your systems.  Unfortunately
oct-files, especially from older Octave versions, are linked against
libraries of the respective Octave version.  They are not portable
across different software versions or systems.

Is it difficult to recompile those oct-files again?  This usually takes
a few seconds once per system change.

Kai

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting