Re: subplot errors in 5.2.0

From: Kwan Lowe
Subject: Re: subplot errors in 5.2.0
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 09:08:56 -0500

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 1:49 AM Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

> Any function files in the current directory always take precedence over
> functions in the core library. So if you have for example a function or
> script file named "max.m" in ~/src/octave, that will shadow the standard
> "max" and possibly break other unrelated functions.

This makes a lot of sense. I have a hundred or so files in there now
and recently had been re-coding some finance functions. No doubt there
is some sort of collision. I was likely on a snipe hunt with 5.1.0 vs
5.2.0 as the 5.1.0 was being run from a Snap or a separate VM.

> This global namespace behavior is something that typically bites people
> just getting started with Octave, and my best guess is you have such a
> file in your ~/src/octave.
>
> Instead of 'cd', try 'addpath'. With 'addpath', you should get a warning
> for any local functions that shadow standard functions on the load path.

Thank you.. I will adjust my octaverc.

> If that doesn't work, try moving or renaming files one by one and
> restarting Octave each time to see if one of them is the culprit.

Will do this also. It's time I started being less sloppy with my
existing library of functions though, so will investigate this
further.

Thank you and everyone for your great help. I have a lot to learn.