Re: Octave 5.2 io package

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2 io package
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 15:24:04 -0600 (CST)

steph wrote
> I have successfully installed JAVA (64bit) and the IO package. When I use
> IO
> in a .m script the output in the command window is "Detected XLS
> interfaces:", any output produced by script follows this. Any advice on
> how
> to suppress the "Detected XLS interfaces:"?

That message is supposed to show up just once per Octave session. The
function that emits this message, xlsopen.m, scans for spreadsheet support
I/O and stores found interfaces in persistent variables.

Based upon your description, one possibility is that your scripts contain a
"clear -f" command somewhere; that's the most obvious way those persistent
variables will be wiped.
Another possibility is that you open spreadsheet files with different
interfaces each time. Can also happen if in one script a spreadsheet file is
opened with a specifically requested interface, and in another script no
interface is specified so xlsopen.m falls back to the default interface
(OCT).

That's about all I can say here without further info from your side about
what your scripts actually do with spreadsheet files.

BTW I decapitalized the subject line, we don't like shouting :-)

HTH
Philip