Re: XLSread issue: works in command window but not form m file

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: XLSread issue: works in command window but not form m file
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 11:46:26 -0600 (CST)

Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 8:39 AM Harm Ubbens <

> harmubbens@

> > wrote:
>
>> Dear reader,
>>
>> When I use xlsread from the command window in Octave 5.1.0 it works
>> properly, however when I use the same commands from within an m-file it
>> does not work and gives and out of bound error (see screenshots in
>> attachment).
>>
>> What can this problem be and how can I solve this?
>>

> Don't ever call your programs (in octave or otherwise) "test" or anything
> similarly generic.
> Call it "test1" if you must.

Good advice, but when I try it with an .xlsx file in a subdir "test" on my
Windows 7 desktop it works fine.

The bug occurs in fileparts.m, a core Octave function. As core Octave
functions in stable releases rarely give problems I'm inclined to think
something is wrong inside your Octave installation.
Restart Octave?
Reboot?
Reinstall Octave?
(no I don't advice to reinstall Windoze).

Philip