Re: communications 1.2.2 package release

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: communications 1.2.2 package release
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 13:36:56 -0500

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 1:12 PM Windhorn, Allen E [ACIM/LSA/MKT] <address@hidden> wrote:
From: Nir Krakauer <address@hidden>

Octave 5.1.0 on windows 10:

running into the same -forge problem here.

>> pkg install -forge communications
error: pkg: could not download file communications-1.2.2.tar.gz from url https://packages.octave.org/download/communications-1.2.2.tar.gz
error: called from
    pkg at line 414 column 13

So, not sure what the -forge issues is, but manually download from path shown in the error works fine.

then
>> pkg install communications-1.1.1.tar.gz

works fine with a warning.

>> pkg install communications-1.1.1.tar.gz
warning: doc_cache_create: unusable help text found in file 'commsimages'
For information about changes from previous versions of the communications package, run 'news communications'.

from the error message it sounds like you have write permission errors.  We had this discussion before, some windows systems prevent execution in the profile temp folder where Octave is trying to compile the package.  so now on my system I made a separate temp folder that I point Octave to use at startup.

e.g., I made a C:\Octave\Temp

and added:
setenv('tmpdir','c:\Octave\Temp\')

to my C:\Users\*username*\.octaverc

you can try manually executing that setenv command with an appropriate alternate folder and see if that lets it compile.