Differing fonts between Octave and other programs with the same fontname

From: Brett Green
Subject: Differing fonts between Octave and other programs with the same fontname
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 16:37:02 -0500

For consistency with the body text of my work, I would like all my plots to use the font Latin Modern. I downloaded and installed the font, and have been able to use it in Octave.by calling e.g.
title('Text (hello, 123) \alpha')
set(gca,"fontname","Latin Modern Math","fontsize",20)
The font changes - it is no longer the default Octave font. However, it's not the font I'm looking for - it doesn't match the default LaTeX font. Strangely, when I use the same font in another program such as MS Word, I get the desired font. Can anyone explain what is going on here, and suggest how to address it?

On a side note, how does one actually use math mode with $? If I call something like
title('$Text (hello, 123) \alpha$')
the $ are interpreted literally. The documentation mentions they can be used in Octave, so I thought to try them and see how it affected my problem, but I couldn't get them to work and the section of the documentation on the text interpreter property didn't explain beyond a passing mention.

- Brett Green