Re: doc command issue

From: niraj pandey
Subject: Re: doc command issue
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 12:36:37 +0530

Ok. In configure log it showing makeinfo not found.

configure: WARNING: building documentation disabled because makeinfo was not found or does not support @sortas; make dist will fail.

But I checked makeinfo in on my PATH.

which makeinfo
/usr/bin/makeinfo

Attaching the log file here.

Thanks
niraj

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 10:15 AM Kai Torben Ohlhus <address@hidden> wrote:

On 11/28/19 1:35 PM, niraj pandey wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 8:16 AM Kai Torben Ohlhus <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/28/19 10:44 AM, niraj pandey wrote:
>     > Hi ,
>     >
>     > I am trying to run "doc plot" but getting the following error.
>     Could you
>     > pls help me here.
>     > Let me know if need to pass any special argument while compiling
>     octave
>     > to fix this issue.
>     >
>     > octave:1> doc plot
>     > error: doc: unable to find the Octave info manual, Octave installation
>     > is incomplete
>     >
>     > Thanks
>     > Niraj
>     >
>
>     Dear Niraj,
>
>     Please tell us how did you install Octave.  You mentioned something
>     about "while compiling octave", thus do you compile it yourself?  Tell
>     us how you configured the build and what was the configuration and build
>     output?  Did any errors occur?
>
>     [...]>
> Here are the steps i followed to install octave.
>
> 1- ./configure --prefix=/tmp/oct1 --with-qt --with-fltk --with-gui
> CFLAGS=-fgnu89-inline --with-blas=BLAS-3.8.0/blas_LINUX.a
> --with-lapack=lapack-3.8.0/liblapack.a
>
> 2- make
>
> 3- make install
>

> It installed successfully and I do not see any issue during installation
> process. Even I am able to run the basic operations as well (like
> addition of two numbers).
> But when I issue "doc" I am getting the error.
>
> octave:1> 2+3
> ans =  5
> octave:2> doc
> error: doc: unable to find the Octave info manual, Octave installation
> is incomplete
>
> I am using octave 5.1.0. The same thing is working fine with older
> version of octave(4.2.1)
>
> Thanks
> Niraj

Please keep the mailing list in the CC, so others may benefit from our
conversation as well and answer at the bottom of the email
(bottom-posting [1]) to facilitate our conversation.

Again the question, did any errors occur?  It looks like the
documentation was either not built at all, or could not be installed
properly.  Best you do the build with some logging enabled, like

  ./configure     2>&1 | tee config.log.txt
  ./make -j4      2>&1 | tee make.log.txt
  ./make install  2>&1 | tee install.log.txt

and send the relevant part of those files.

Is it intentional, that you are installing to the "/tmp" directory?
After a reboot, maybe all your hard work is gone?!

HTH,
Kai

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting

--
Success occurs when opportunity and preparation meet