Re: Cannot install statistics pkg from the command line

From: Nick Gayeski
Subject: Re: Cannot install statistics pkg from the command line
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 14:02:55 -0800

Thanks all for the prompt reply. I followed Allen's direction and used the following command to try to install the stats package, and received the included error message.
I have a current version of Windows 7 Professional and just installed the current version of GNU Octave. So I am puzzled by the error message regarding dependencies.

>> pkg install -forge statistics
error: the following dependencies were unsatisfied:
   statistics needs io >= 1.0.18

Regarding the comment that the statics pkg is not included in GNU octave I just ran the following command and received the associated error message:

>> [m,v] = normstat (2, 0.4)
warning: the 'normstat' function belongs to the statistics package from Octave
Forge which seems to not be installed in your system.

I need more help.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick,

From: Help-octave <help-octave-bounces+allen.windhorn=address@hidden> On Behalf Of Nick Gayeski

> I have just downloaded and install GNU Octave on my Windows 7 desktop
> computer. I then tried to install the statistics package using the command
> on the next line below, and received the error message on the following lines:
>
> pkg install -forge package_statistics ...

The statistics package is not called package_statistics in the Octave-Forge
repository, it is just called statistics.  Try that with the -forge option.

> I also downloaded the statistics package 1.4.1 tar, unzipped with WinZip and
> installed in the the same directory in which  Octave is installed. But any
> command to a statistics script returns the error message that the stats pkg is
> not installed.

If you didn't do "pkg install" something, you didn't install the package.

Type help pkg and read the result.  And remember, you also have to load the
package before you can use it, unless you set it up to load automatically (see
previous sentence).

Regards,
Allen