Re: pkg symbolic

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: pkg symbolic
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 10:53:36 -0800

     > pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.8.0.tar.gz
    warning: creating installation directory
    C:\Octave\OCTAVE~1.0\mingw64\share\octave\packages
    warning: called from
         install at line 30 column 5
         pkg at line 441 column 9
    error: mkdir: invalid PARENT
    error: called from
         mkdir>mkdir_recur at line 76 column 5
         mkdir>mkdir_recur at line 81 column 26
         mkdir at line 66 column 24
         install at line 31 column 19
         pkg at line 441 column 9

Hmmm, I have not seen this before. My guess is some permissions problem (although I don't understand the Windows permissions model). Something like Octave installed as administrator but now regular user cannot install packages (?).

Can you try installing a different package to show its not Symbolic-specific. "pkg install -forge doctest" for example. What output does that give?

Everything I've learned about Windows installation is recorded here:

https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation

After we resolve this issue we should update that!

Colin