How to do equivalent of Linux 'tail' script into Octave variables?

From: Mark Smith
Subject: How to do equivalent of Linux 'tail' script into Octave variables?
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 00:41:56 -0400

I have a script reading instrument output quite nicely using importdata()

The instrument runs for hours, and creates a comma delimited ASCII data file, which has new data appended every second. Can't find a way to get incremental data that is added each second.

Must I drop down to C style I/O to read the file, then re-read it and parse for updates?  How can I get the equivalent running a fork of the data acquisition process and looking at the stream of data provided by a 'tail' piped into a process?

Thanks, Mark