Re: Octave-Arduino- Slow Velocity Stepper Motor

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Octave-Arduino- Slow Velocity Stepper Motor
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 14:20:11 -0400

On 9/5/19 1:23 PM, Vicent wrote:
   The problem is the slow velocity I get  in the steppers (using Octave and
arduino toguether) because to get one complete turn  (200 steps ) it last
almost 11 seconds whereas only with arduino (without Octave) it goes really
fast but I prefer use Octave to be able to do the trajectory calculations.
function runMotor(ar, MotorStep, MotorDir, direction,  steps, time )
           pause(time);
   endfunction
...#
Alfa Motor Down;
       runMotor (ar, alfaStep, alfaDir, 1, 200, 0.00001);

You put far too much trust into pause()'s ability to execute short delays. 10 microsecond pause is just not practical in the interpreted environment: on my 3GHz Linux box I see a factor of 67 discrepancy:

tic; pause(.00001);toc
Elapsed time is 0.000674963 seconds.

Since that delayed delay happens in your step loop i'ts going to slow things down significantly.