Reading in a data file into Octave

From: Alex Yelland
Subject: Reading in a data file into Octave
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 15:45:07 +0000

Hello,

My name is Alexander Yelland, and I am very new to using Octave (and to this type of programming/code writing in general). I am currently working with one of my professors in regards to some physics research we are attempting to conduct.

For the next stage of my research, my professor has request of me to learn how to "read in" a data file such as in a text or excel format. I have been looking through a couple of sources in the Octave User Manual; however, I am not understanding what I am reading. I was curious if you could shed some light on a simple way to do this within the Octave program?

(In addition to this, if you know a way to easily convert a program written in IDL to a script written in the Octave language, I would also really appreciate any insight...)

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Alexander Yelland

Washburn University

address@hidden