Re: xlsread return error: No Java support found (no Java JRE? no Java pk

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: xlsread return error: No Java support found (no Java JRE? no Java pkg installed AND loaded?)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 18:53:45 +0200

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 03:06:04 -0500 (CDT)
> From: cmt <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: xlsread return error: No Java support found (no Java JRE?
>       no Java pkg installed AND loaded?)
>
> Hi mmuetzel,
>
> thanks for your quick help. I tried your Code and it worked partially. The
> data is read and stored in data_autokorr_num, data_autokorr_str,
> data_autokorr_raw. The remaining Problem ist the Format. The original data
> Looks like:
>      0.000    12.000  15.000
>      0.006    12.000  15.000
>      0.012    12.000  15.000
>

> but for data_autokorr_num I receive:
> NaN   12000   15000
> NaN   12000   15000
> NaN   12000   15000
>
> and for data_autokorr_raw:
>      0.000     12000   15000
>      0.006     12000   15000
>      0.012     12000   15000
>
> and for data_autokorr_str:
>      0.000     12000   15000
>      0.006     12000   15000
>      0.012     12000   15000
>
> Is it a Problem, that the german Version of Excel denote the "." as a
> sperator for 10^3? But why does it work for the first column?

Since I don't know your Excel file, I don't know what output you should expect.
So the following is just speculation:
It looks like the first column is formatted as text in Excel. The second and
third columns are numeric.
How the numbers are formatted (thousands separator, currency, ...) in Excel
doesn't really matter. Octave only reads the numbers.

Is it possible that the data in your original Excel file was imported from a
text file? In this case, make sure to set up the correct decimal separators
during import (in Excel). If you don't, the "text" in the first column might
suddenly change to numbers above 1000 once the value passes "1.000"...

Are you sure data_autokorr_raw and data_autokorr_str contain exactly the same
values?

Markus