Octave became unreponsive

From: WMDhamnekar
Subject: Octave became unreponsive
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 08:20:03 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,
  I have Octave 5.1.0 version. After  typing 'pkg update' at the command
prompt, command prompt >> disappeared and Octave stopped working. I even
could not close it by clicking on 'Exit' in the pop menu under the 'File'
menu bar. Octave gave warning 'LFLAGS is deprecated and will be removed in a
future version of Octave, use LDFLAGS instead.'

What does this mean? and how close octave in such cases in now and in future
while working in Octave?