Uicontrol static text not interpreted using TEX

From: funtomas
Subject: Uicontrol static text not interpreted using TEX
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 05:34:00 -0500 (CDT)

Hi there.

I am writing a GUI in GNU octave (5.1.0). It is supposed to read some input
values, make some calculations, plot some graphs and write the results.
Everything works well besides the unwanted fact that uicontrol displays the
given string uninterpreted (Greek letters, subscripts, superscripts etc.).
Is there a way to do this?

I have tried to specify the interpreter inside the uicontrol:
uicontrol ("parent", p, "style",'text', "string", ["\beta Q_v
[m^3/s]"],'interpreter','tex']);

But there is no such property listed in the documentation and hence no
wonder I get this error:
error: set: unknown uicontrol property interpreter

Meanwhile, I have managed to insert the Greek letters into the displayed
text using the UTF-8 ASCII code (in this case the letter beta):
uicontrol ("parent", p, "style",'text', "string", [char([206 178]) " Q_v

That works fine. However the variable and its units are displayed the same
way they are written in the code (no subscripts, no superscripts), which
looks kind of silly and on top it is space consuming.

I have been searching all over the internet ever since I started with
writing this GUI (2017 or so) but no luck. It seems as if no one has ever
ran into this trouble, which seems strange to me. Am I missing something?
Any help will be very appreciated!