Re: can't install packages because Octave is using clang instead of home

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: can't install packages because Octave is using clang instead of homebrew gcc (MacOS)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 08:21:21 -0700

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 19:12:12 -0700, David Lowenfels wrote:
> Thanks Mike. The variables set in ~/.bashrc don't seem to be
> propagating into octave shell environment... any other suggestions?

I guess that depends how you are starting Octave.

If you are running Octave from a bash shell command line, try the
following instead

    ## at the bash prompt
    export CC=gcc-9
    export CXX=g++-9
    octave

    ## now at the Octave prompt
    getenv CC
    getenv CXX
    mkoctfile -p CC
    mkoctfile -p CXX
    system ('touch dummy.cc');
    mkoctfile -v dummy.cc

If that works, then it's just a matter of making sure the environment
variables are set in the right startup files.

--
mike