Re: oct2xls write symbols and Non - standard ascii letters

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: oct2xls write symbols and Non - standard ascii letters
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 13:43:07 -0400

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 11:22 AM Karin <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi!
I am new to octave, but used to MATLAB. From another program I have results.
With this I do some maths with octave without problems. For a nicer form in
my report, I want to write these results to a EXCEL worksheet. In MATLAB I
can write units like mikrogramm per cubicmeter with a greek letter for
'mikro' and the 'cubic' after m a "3" as a superscript to an EXCEl Worksheet
without problems as long as a variable contains these characters.
This script runs with octave without an error:

file_name='test1.xlsx';
xls=xlsopen(file_name,1);

A=cell(2,5);
A(1,:)={'Spalte1','Spalte2/','µg/m³','Spalte4','test'};

non-standard characters are a known issue with Octave, but they usually comes from using non-ascii characters. trying to recreate your inputs I noticed that I am unable to enter the µ and ³ characters in the interpreter, even though they are ASCII characters (by using ALT-0181 for µ for example).  If I save it to a chartest.m file, I'm able to create the same cell array as you with those characters. How are you inputting those characters to octave? are they ascii or Unicode characters?

All that said, using ascii characters, whether I use xlswrite or oct2ods, I'm able to create xlsx files without any problem that contain the characters in your column headings.  I get no errors on opening the files.

A=cell(2,5);
A(1,:)={'Spalte1','Spalte2/','µg/m³','Spalte4','test'};
A(2,1)=1;
A(2,2)=2;
A(2,3)=3;
A(2,4)=4;
A(2,5)=5;

>> status = xlswrite('test1.xlsx',A)
status =  1

similarly:
>> XLS = xlsopen ('test2.xlsx',1);
>> [XLS,status] = oct2xls(A,XLS,'Tab_1','A5:E6');
>> XLS = xlsclose(XLS);

both the test1.xlsx and test2.xlsx files contain the column headings with µ and ³ characters with no errors.  same behavior whether I have the windows package open.

Octave 5.1.0
Windows 10
MS Offic 2013
io package 2.4.12