Re: Read-only file system error when installing a package

From: Steven Evans
Subject: Re: Read-only file system error when installing a package
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 19:20:03 -0400

    Thanks so much, Mike.  That did, indeed, solve the problem. However, now I have another one.     After typing "pkg install -forge parallel" at the Octave prompt, I receive an error message which says:

pkg: error running `make' for the parallel package.
error: called from
    configure_make at line 99 column 9
    install at line 184 column 7
    pkg at line 441 column 9

    Before printing out this error, it prints out a lot of other things, of which, I'm embarrassed to say that I don't fully understand.  I copied everything that it prints out and pasted it into a text file, which I've attached to this message.     In your message, you said that I was trying to do a global install.  Does typing "pkg install -forge parallel" mean that I'm trying to do a global install?     I typed "pkg install -forge parallel", based on a webpage which speaks about the parallel package:

https://wiki.octave.org/Parallel_package

    At the top of that page, it says to type "pkg install -forge parallel" in order to install the package.  Does this cause the global install that you're talking about?     Would it matter that I now have two versions of Octave installed?  I tried to install the parallel package on the version of Octave that I have originally (version 4.0.0).  When trying to install the package, I received a message which said:

error: the following dependencies were unsatisfied:
   parallel needs struct >= 1.0.12

    I figured I was receiving the message because my version of Octave was too old for the package.  So I installed version 5.0.1 using flatpack.  It turns out that I can still use my old version of Octave by typing "octave-cli" at a Linux command prompt.  In order to run the new version, I type "flatpak run org.octave.Octave".  Is it a problem for me to have the two versions?     I realized the version wasn't the cause of the struct issue when I tried to install the parallel package on version 5.0.1, and still got the struct message.  I later found out that I'm receiving that message because I have to install struct, which is a different package.  So I installed that package by typing "pkg install -forge struct", on my 5.0.1 version of Octave.  I then tried to install the parallel package, which gave me the error in the attached text file.     I'm not sure whether any of that is related to this error message about 'make' not running correctly, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to let you know.     Thanks again for your help on how to get beyond my "read-only" issue.  Could this new issue be related to the global install that you mentioned earlier?

Thanks for your time and patience,

Steven