Read-only file system error when installing a package

From: Steven Evans
Subject: Read-only file system error when installing a package
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 12:01:11 -0400

    When trying to install Octave's parallel package, I receive the following error:

warning: creating installation directory /app/share/octave/packages
warning: called from
    install at line 30 column 5
    pkg at line 441 column 9
error: could not create installation directory: Read-only file system
error: called from
    install at line 33 column 7
    pkg at line 441 column 9

    I receive this error after typing "pkg install -forge parallel" at the Octave prompt.     My operating system is Lubuntu 16.04.  I recently installed the latest version of Octave (version 5.1.0) using Flatpak.     I don't know if this matters, but after installing Octave, I have to put "sudo" in front of the "flatpak run org.octave.Octave" command, when starting Octave.     I got this run command by following the instructions at the bottom of this page:

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.octave.Octave

    In order to start Octave via the command line, it says to type "flatpak run org.octave.Octave".  However, if I don't put "sudo" before this,  a window pops up saying I don't have read and write permissions.  I've attached a screen shot of this, so that you'll see what I mean.  That error message gave me the idea of putting "sudo" before the command; which seems to work.     Because I received that error by not using "sudo", I'm wondering if that could be related to me not being able to install the parallel package.  If so, what am I doing wrong? Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks for your time and attention,

Steven Evans

--
http://www.BoolEngine.com