Debugging mex error in Octave: undefined symbol: mxcopyreal8toptr_

From: Anthony Gitter
Subject: Debugging mex error in Octave: undefined symbol: mxcopyreal8toptr_
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 14:31:53 +0000

Hello,

I am attempting to compile a mex file from third-party Fortran code.  I receive the error message:

error: glmnetControl: /SCINGE/glmnet_matlab/glmnetMex.mex: failed to load: /SCINGE/glmnet_matlab/glmnetMex.mex: undefined symbol: mxcopyreal8toptr_

To proceed with my debugging, I am trying to determine whether this is a problem with MATLAB and Octave compatibility, the Fortran code, the way I am calling mkoctfile, or something else.

This MATLAB page suggests that mxCopyReal8ToPtr is a MATLAB function  https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/apiref/mxcopyreal8toptr.html   I found an old thread discussing mxcopyreal8toptr in Octave, but it was not resolved https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2007-01/msg00052.html

I am running Octave inside the mtmiller/octave:5.1.0 Docker container, which uses Ubuntu.  My current compilation attempt is:

mkoctfile --verbose --mex glmnetMex.F GLMnet.f

with the full script available at https://github.com/gitter-lab/SCINGE/blob/d1af7d85b879efe11e4e7dd55cb0fe74b2f18de5/install_glmnet_docker.sh and the full error available at https://travis-ci.com/gitter-lab/SCINGE/builds/107149572#L1039

The Fortran code, which was written for MATLAB, comes from http://web.stanford.edu/~hastie/glmnet_matlab/download.html

I would be grateful for any advice on what to debug next.

Thank you,
Anthony