Mac OS ver 4.4.1 - Cannot install any packages

From: llopez04
Subject: Mac OS ver 4.4.1 - Cannot install any packages
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 14:57:00 -0500 (CDT)

Hey folks, tried searching for this issue but didn't come across anything
helpful.

I've just installed ver 4.4.1 in my Mac, running Mojave.  Was previously
running version 3.8 of Octave.

When I went to install a package (mapping) I got the following error:

>> pkg install -forge mapping
configure: error: in
`/var/folders/m1/6dyc8zjx10x4sgszlhg5tsfm0000gn/T/oct-NslrKR/mapping-1.2.1/src':
configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details
checking whether the C++ compiler works... no

pkg: error running the configure script for mapping.
error: called from
    configure_make at line 82 column 9
    install at line 184 column 7
    pkg at line 437 column 9

tried a different package (linear-algebra) and pretty much got the same
thing.

>> pkg install -forge linear-algebra
configure: error: in
`/var/folders/m1/6dyc8zjx10x4sgszlhg5tsfm0000gn/T/oct-B1e1PB/linear-algebra/src':
See `config.log' for more details
checking for gcc... clang
checking whether the C compiler works... no

pkg: error running the configure script for linear-algebra.
error: called from
    configure_make at line 82 column 9
    install at line 184 column 7
    pkg at line 437 column 9

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm sure it is something with the machine,
not necessarily the Octave install.

L.