Re: Executable octave program

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Executable octave program
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 14:20:36 -0700

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 16:54:44 -0400, François PH Lapointe wrote:
> Good day Kai,
>
> it is still saying an error:
>
> ./m2.sh: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `"Hello, world!\n"'
> ./m2.sh: line 5: `printf ("Hello, world!\n");’

Can you post an exact copy of your file 'm2.sh' somewhere?

This error message comes from the bash shell, which indicates that bash
is trying to interpret this file as a shell script, not calling Octave.

I'm suspicious because Kai's example only contained 4 lines, but your
error message references line 5. Did you accidentally insert a newline
at the start of the file? If I do that, I can reproduce your error.

The very first byte of the file needs to be '#'.

--
mike