Octave criterion for matrix singularity

From: mabalenk
Subject: Octave criterion for matrix singularity
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 12:34:57 -0600 (CST)

Dear all,

I'm repeatedly solving a linear system with a Vandermonde matrix. I'm using
a "backslash" operator:

  y = -W'/b'

At each iteration I'm increasing the matrix order by one. At some point
Octave issues a warning:

  warning: matrix singular to machine precision, rcond = 1.56508e-17

If possible, would you please direct me to the Octave source code, where
this decision is made? I would like to understand the criterion, that
triggers the warning. I found a post on StackOverflow that says MATLAB would
issue a similar warning, once rcond < 1e-12. I would like to know, what
threshold does Octave use and how is it defined. Thank you!

--
Best wishes,
Maxim