installation instructions seem wrong? No configure script

From: Dov Kruger
Subject: installation instructions seem wrong? No configure script
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 08:20:51 -0500

octave installation is broken on Ubuntu 18.10

I honestly forget whether I installed using apt or snap, but octave is not in, and there is a broken shared library libdouble-conversion.so.1

The same thing happened with emacs but I was able to build from source, so I decided to try building matlab from source.

The instructions call for:

./configure
and either make or
make CFLAGS=-O CXXFLAGS=-O LDFLAGS=

to make without debugging information

There is no configure script. There is configure.ac, but no instructions on how to use autoconf

trying autoconf configure.ac, I get the following error messages:

configure.ac:1: error: possibly undefined macro: dnl
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:61: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_SUBST
configure.ac:78: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.ac:81: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_SILENT_RULES
configure.ac:85: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
configure.ac:238: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
configure.ac:309: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_NOTICE
configure.ac:351: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_CHECKING
configure.ac:352: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PREPROC_IFELSE
configure.ac:352: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LANG_SOURCE
configure.ac:358: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_RESULT
configure.ac:585: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LANG_PUSH
configure.ac:587: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LANG_POP
configure.ac:602: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_FUNCS
configure.ac:1050: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_WARN
configure.ac:1078: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_CC_C_O
configure.ac:1153: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CACHE_CHECK
configure.ac:1400: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_HEADER