Re: Brief details about pkg package manager.

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Brief details about pkg package manager.
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 12:55:55 -0500

On 1/27/19 6:28 AM, priyann wrote:
Thanks a lot Andy.

In the project site.
https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Octave_Package_management

1.support for multiple version packages

Why should I keep the older version! because we know the newer version comes
with bugs fixed which were
occurring in the older version. Isn't newer version = older version + bugs
fixed!
then why this facility required?

2.support for multiple Octave installs

that means there can be multiple octave versions(4.3.0, 4.3.1 etc) on a
system?
So, again, what is the profit? 4.3.1 will be better than 4.3.0.

I am not assuming the python 3.x and python 2.x problem.

There are reasons you might want to use multiple versions in both a developer and user context.

While ideally, a newer version should be the older version plus new features and bug fixes, sometimes new versions also unintentionally introduce bugs, too. And sometimes there may be non-back-compatible API changes.

And depending on your environment, the newest version of Octave or a library might not be readily available to you. Corporate and educational environments might be controlled by an IT department that takes a while to test and deploy new versions. This would be especially true if Octave saw enterprise use. The Windows installation of Octave comes with a bunch of packages whose versions are frozen at the time of installer creation. Some Linux distros ship with a version of Octave that is frozen at the time of the distro's creation. And upgrading takes some work; not all users are going to do it right away after every Octave or package release.

For Octave developers, it could be useful to have both multiple package versions and multiple Octave versions installed side by side. When testing a new package version, you might want to switch back and forth between the old version and new version to compare their behavior, and make sure that your tests are working as expected. And you might want to switch between different versions of other packages to ensure compatibility with your package.

As for Octave itself, developers might be pulling in versions from "the future" to test upcoming releases, or have alternate builds. I currently have like eight variants of Octave installed on my machine: 4.4.1, 5.1 RC1, stable, default, a couple builds with GUI-related patches and customizations, a build done with a hacked Qt library, an OpenBLAS build, and a 4.2 OpenBLAS build.

Cheers,
Andrew