Re: Calling Octave built in functions from C, not C++

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: Calling Octave built in functions from C, not C++
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 17:13:23 +0000

Please keep the mailing list in
> On 1/26/19 3:02 AM, Carlo De Falco wrote:
>>
>>> On 26 Jan 2019, at 03:29, Allan Branscomb <address@hidden>
>>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> There is mention that it can be done but I haven't been able to find any
>>> examples in which C is the calling language.
>>>
>> Where did you find mention of that? builtin functions are declared as :
>>
>> extern OCTINTERP_API octave_value_list
>> Fnorm (const octave_value_list& = octave_value_list (), int = 0);
>>
>> and "octave_value_list" is definitely not a C compatible type ...
>>
>> c.
>

> On 27 Jan 2019, at 17:15, Allan Branscomb <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hello;
>
> The reference is found here:
> http://www.obihiro.ac.jp/~suzukim/masuda/octave/html3/octave_193.html

that is a very old version of the Octave manual from more tha 10 years ago!
The updated manual is here :

http://octave.org/doc/interpreter
http://octave.org/doc/interpreter/External-Code-Interface.html

> " These are highly optimized and many do not carry the overhead of being
> interpreted."

Where does that say you can call builtins from a C standalone program?
It does say you can call C code from Octave, but that is not what you want,
right?

> However, I was concerned with calling Octave just two commonly used functions
> from standalone C, not calling C functions from within Octave and was trying
> to determine if it also would be possible to avoid use of the interpreter by
> calling them from C outside of the Octave environment.

That is definitely possible for C++. I don't think it is easy to do from C.

On the other hand, many Octave built-in functions are not implemented from
scratch but rather use backend libraries.
Many such libraries are written in C or F77 so, if you specify what functions
you want to use we might direct you to the libraries that Octave uses to
implement them.

> Allan

c.