Re: help on functions

From: Ian McCallion
Subject: Re: help on functions
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 08:25:18 +0000

On Sunday, 27 January 2019, vempati Sarma <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 1:03 AM Ian McCallion <address@hidden> wrote:
On Saturday, 26 January 2019, vempati Sarma <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,
I am using Octave 4.4.0(GUI) on Windows 10 OS. I am trying to get help on command line about some functions, only last portion
of help text is displayed, if it has size more than window . Vertical navigation key is not helping in getting top portion of help text. Since, some of the functions do not have documentation I am unable to read the help text.
Is there any work around to navigate to see earlier portion of command window?

There are three:

1. Upgrade to octave 4.4.1.

2. In Windows switch to the legacy console

3. Use the pause command. Scrolling then works until you hit enter.

Cheers... Ian
Thanks, Ian. I upgraded to Octave 4.4.1. I do not where I can switch to legacy console. Can  you please explain. And also how to use pause command with help <function name> command.

Apologies if previous reply was too brief. I was trying to offer quick help to you in limited time and not at my computer.

1. The problem of inability to scroll up was fixed in 4.4.1 (although unfortunately the most recent big windows update has caused some instability and you may have to switch to legacy console anyway)

2. Shut Octave down. Open any commandline window. Click on System icon (top left of window). Click on Properties. Select Options tab. Select "Use legacy console...". Close commandline window. Relaunch Octave.

3. Even without doing any of the above, if there is output you wish to see that has scrolled out of the window type
      pause[Enter]
You will now find you can scroll! Hit [Enter] to exit from the pause command.

Cheers... Ian