Re: Passing variables between octave processes on the same machine

From: Pavel Hofman
Subject: Re: Passing variables between octave processes on the same machine
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 22:55:14 +0100

Hi Sergei,

I do have practical experience with named pipe - they work well for me. I didn't use them with Octave, I used them e.g.with 'ecasound'. But the mechanism is generic.

I have used named pipes many times in the past. But in this case the blocking behaviour really is an obstacle. The writer must keep running when the reader is down, the communication is not crucial for the writer. The reader is a low-priority monitoring process with GUI.

I also used (zero size) files as semaphores. I.e. the sending process creates such a file when data is available, and the receiving process deletes the file upon receiving the data thus notifying the sending process that new data can be prepared. But this is not necessarily related to named pipes - it's just another mechanism.

Creating small new files for each message is unfortunately not an option on ssd drives.

Anyway, thansk a lot for your help!

Pavel.