Re: Apparent missing/wrong/conflicting items in the description of 'fsol

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Apparent missing/wrong/conflicting items in the description of 'fsolve' ('fvec' <-> 'fval')
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 11:41:46 -0500

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 4:35 PM Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello All,

looking into GNU Octave: Solvers

I see among other things:

"
Function File: [x, fvec, info, output, fjac] = fsolve (fcn, …
".

Pay special attention  to 'fvec' - I do not see it anywhere else in the webpage. OTOH later on I see:

"
On return, fval contains the value of the function fcn evaluated at x
".

I think that 'fval' and 'fvec' is the same and either one, but not both of the names should have been used. If I'm wrong, please explain the exact meaning of both items and difference between them.

--Sergei.

You are correct. The documentation needs fixed.
Do you want to provide a fix?

--
DAS