setting global variables

From: Fritz Sonnichsen
Subject: setting global variables
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 13:40:34 -0400

I have been using the "global" directive to set up some (around 50) global variables in a script. However in order to access them from functions in the same script, I need to define them as global again or they are not defined in the function.    Seems a bit redundant to me--is there some way to define variables share by all functions just once?

Thanks
Fritz