Re: Problems while installing Octave 4.2

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Problems while installing Octave 4.2
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 10:13:36 +0200

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 9:38 AM S. Swayamjyoti <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to install an octave package for scientific computations. I could easily install Octave 4.0, but I am facing great difficulty, with Octave 4.2. After running the 'configure' command, successfully, I am still not able to find a make file to build Octave.

Can someone please help me with this? The issue is a bit urgent. Please find attached the error screenshot.

Best,
Swayam

Basically, the problem is defined precisely in the error messages: The development libraries for cURL, fontconfig and so on are not installed on your system.

If you are in a hurry, then you must be precise for getting help:
- Which Linux distribution and version runs in your virtual box?
- Why can't you run a Linux version that naively supports Octave 4.2 or newer?  https://packages.debian.org/stretch-backports/octave
- Do you really rely on version 4.2 or why not choosing 4.4.1 when compiling from source?
- Compiling from source requires you to install lots of development packages, see https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems#The_easy_way_.28but_likely_incorrect.29

HTH,
Kai