Re: pkg install -forge linear-algebra.............fails

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: pkg install -forge linear-algebra.............fails
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 14:00:22 +0200

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 4:14 PM Leloup <address@hidden> wrote:
Bonjour,

       From Linux Mint, I updated Octave 4.0.0 to 4.1.1.
      I get some issues to install linear-algebra and communications
packages.

>>pkg install -forge linear-algebra
conftest.cc:1:27: *fatal error*: octave/config.h: No such file or directory
 #include <octave/config.h>
                           ^
compilation terminated.
configure: error: Could not run /app/bin/mkoctfile-4.4.1
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for *mkoctfile*... /app/bin/mkoctfile-4.4.1

pkg: error running the configure script for linear-algebra.
error: called from
    configure_make at line 82 column 9
    install at line 184 column 7
    pkg at line 437 column 9

With the Octave version 4.0.0 these two packages worked.

Do you have an idea what do?

Regards,

Leloup

This problem is unfortunately known since the Octave 4.4.0 release [1].  The last release of the package 2.2.2 was 2015-04-05, there seems to be no maintainer at the moment.  Since the last release only a few updates happened in the development repository [2], which at least seem to fix the installation issues, only a few deprecation warnings persist.

To overcome the lack of a release, I am afraid, you have to put a little hands on:

1. Install the "generate_html" package: >> pkg install -forge generate_html
2. Clone the latest version: >> hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/linear-algebra octave-linear-algebra
3. Run inside the directory: >> make release

The last step should already install the package in your default location (pkg load linear-algebra).  Otherwise you'll find the *.tar.gz file in the "target" directory.

HTH,
Kai