Re: octave startup directory?

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: octave startup directory?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 20:12:19 +0200

On 11.09.2018 19:31, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 07:02:48 +0200, Torsten wrote:
>> I am not sure if we really have a bug here. Without .octaverc, the
>> current dev version starts in the local directory when launched as
>> terminal session. The behavior of the GUI depends on the preferences of
>> the file browser but IMHO, the octave directory is the same as if
>> launched as terminal session.
>
> No it doesn't. If the startup directory option is set in the GUI, and
> the user then runs terminal mode octave (not octave-cli), the
> interpreter changes to the startup directory of the GUI. That seems like
> a bug to me, because it's unexpected and there is no way to configure it
> or check it when the GUI is not running.

Even if I set the startup directory and start octave with "--no-gui" (no
.octaverc) the octave directory is set to the current one, ignoring the
startup dir. In gui mode, the startup dir in the preferences defines the
initial directory for the the file browser. The octave directory still
is the current one or the one set in .octaverc.

Torsten