Re: octave startup directory?

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: octave startup directory?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 07:02:48 +0200

On 10.09.2018 21:36, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 14:08:26 -0500, jathan wrote:
>> when i launch octave from the terminal command line with the "--no-gui"
>> option, it defaults to starting the session with a working directory of
>> /home/$USER.  GUI session re-loads previous session & working directory, and
>> i would like to retain that behavior while terminal sessions start in the
>> local directory.
>
> Yes, this seems like a clear bug that should be fixed. Can you please
> file a bug report at
>
>   https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave
>
>> it's not clear what I should put in octaverc or ~/.octaverc (currently does
>> not exist) to induce this behavior and think this is probably set by
>> environmental variables.  any help or advice?  thanks
>
> If you don't intend to do any plotting at all when you run Octave in the
> terminal, you can use octave-cli instead of octave.
>
> Otherwise, the only workaround is to not set that preference in the GUI.

I am not sure if we really have a bug here. Without .octaverc, the
current dev version starts in the local directory when launched as
terminal session. The behavior of the GUI depends on the preferences of
the file browser but IMHO, the octave directory is the same as if
launched as terminal session.

What would be the expected behavior?

Torsten