Re: Putting international characters into output files

From: Ian McCallion
Subject: Re: Putting international characters into output files
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 16:07:43 +0100

On 6 August 2018 at 08:42, mmuetzel <address@hidden> wrote:
> No worries.
> The Pound symbol should display correctly in the command window (even on
> Windows).
> If I write the following in a script, select the whole line and execute
> using F9, it shows up correctly. (It will be less tedious once Octave 5.0
> will be available.):
> t = "£"
It does not work for me. If I copy your text and paste it into the
Octave GUI Command window
it shows as t = "". If I copy and paste it into the editor it shows correctly.

> Which steps are you doing that provoke the character not being shown? Are
> you referring to the Command Window or to the Workspace panel? Or both?
> I am interested in this because there currently are ongoing efforts to make
> Octave more Unicode aware across all supported platforms.

My original code, which edited an incoming file and produced an output
file worked apart from the screen output where the £ sign was
displayed as a black diamond containing a '?'.

I then wrote this function:
function [] = codes ()
  fid=fopen('codes.txt','w');
  for i=1:4:512
      fprintf(fid,'%d => %s %s %s %s\n',i, char(i), char(i+1),
char(i+2), char(i+3))
      fprintf(    '%d => %s %s %s %s\n',i, char(i), char(i+1),
char(i+2), char(i+3))
  end
  fclose(fid);
end

which has a £ sign in position 163 in the file but all characters
above code 127 show as the black diamond in the command window

Hope that helps.

Cheers... Ian