Re: Octave 4.4. on MacOS 10.12.6 with GUI anyone?

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Octave 4.4. on MacOS 10.12.6 with GUI anyone?
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 14:29:32 -0400

On 6/27/18 2:23 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 06/27/2018 10:35 AM, Andrew Janke wrote:

I have. Unfortunately, that turns out to be quite difficult, because it depends on making builds of GCC and Qt (and all the other Octave dependencies) that are relocatable, which is no easy task, because they're not designed for that.

The Windows binary for Octave may be installed in any directory, so I think it is possible, even for GCC, which is included with the Octave Windows installer.

I also distribute (privately) binaries for older RHEL and SuSE systems that can be installed anywhere.  They rely on a shell script to set some environment variables before executing Octave. That is all included in the mxe-octave build system.  The shell script is here:

  http://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave/file/tip/octave-wrapper.in

You do have to edit the shell scripts to set the proper value of OCTAVE_HOME, but that could be done by an installer script if needed.

jwe
That's exciting: if it can be done on Linux, then it seems likely to be feasible on macOS.

We're already making a wrapper script to deal with some environment variables, so that wouldn't be a burden to expand. I'll have a look through the MXE system and get familiar with it.

Thanks!

Andrew