database package - inserting array data into array field

From: ajdunford
Subject: database package - inserting array data into array field
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 13:44:36 -0700 (MST)

I've just started using the database package coupled with postgresql.  I am
able to connect, create tables with array colums (e.g, column_name
float8[]), perform queries, etc, without issue.  However, I can not seem to
successfully insert arrays into array fields, except by literal ARRAY[]
strings in the INSERT statement.

My attempts to do the same via placeholders (e.g. $1), and via the copy from
with binary from variable have all failed.

Even if I manually insert an array and read it back out via SELECT query, I
am still not able to insert that data back in to the table.

I imagine I am missing something simple and fundamental, but after having
combed through all of the documentation and examples i could find, I am
still stumped.

If someone could provide an example, I would be very grateful.