Re: Re: Installing Octave on CentOS 6.5

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Re: Installing Octave on CentOS 6.5
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 13:12:34 -0400

On 05/02/2018 01:33 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Sahil <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Prasad K wrote
    > I was trying to install octave on CentOS 6.5 since few weeks.
    > I have tried so many options from internet including this tutorial
    > "http://www.discretizer.se/?p=198 <http://www.discretizer.se/?p=198>"
    and every attempt failed with some type
    > of error in the ./configure step (dependencies etc..).

​I seriously doubt you can compile a recent octave on a stock RHEL 6.x and
related distros. Those are just too old and octave wants newer version of development
tools.
To compile octave on RHEL7 I  had to install a newer version of sed and libtool
(and probably something else which I have forgotten).

mxe-octave can build modern versions of Octave and all dependencies for these old systems. You can check it out here:

  http://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave

It's still not trivial and the complete build will take several hours because it builds about 125 dependencies and most Octave Forge packages.

I'd be glad to discuss commercial support options if you are interested.

jwe