Re: float image viewer

From: Richard Kirk
Subject: Re: float image viewer
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 20:53:05 +0100

On 6 Apr 2018, at 19:47, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:

compatibility question: are you or anyone else on here familiar with whether Matlab or it's Image toolbox provide any of those functions, and if so how? Are any of these currently not possibly in Matlab that we'd be creating new functionality unbounded by the compatibility concern?  I could run some quick script tests to find out if someone could generate a minimal test.

I do not know whether Matlab supports any of these. I have used Matlab but I do not currently have access to a copy. Clearly, if Matlab has a solution, we should copy that if we can.

My image viewer solution uses standard Octave commands and a few .m files. In that respect, I am not modifying Octave, but providing a library. The modified viewer regularly looked for a file, read a command from that file, executed it, and then deleted it. The Octave commands would generate these command files, and where necessary they blocked until they could read a reply or timeout. The same .m files worked in Matlab (I tried this once to check) so compatibility should not be an issue.

I am not saying the is the only way to go - just that it worked very well for me. I had a viewer that could display floating-point image formats, including video formats, and other motion picture files that are not widely supported; grab the frames, or the part of the frame that was in view; process it in Matlab; then put the image back into the viewer so we could wipe between it and the original.

The ‘gif’ viewer looks like a possible replacement. It is supposed to be cross-platform, but the development is largely on Windows. I have asked whether there is support on the Mac on their forum. I will let this group know if I get a reply.

Thanks.
Richard Kirk