Re: octave-sundials for ubuntu 16.04

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: octave-sundials for ubuntu 16.04
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 13:31:04 +0000 (UTC)

________________________________
From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden>
To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 8:20 AM
Subject: octave-sundials for ubuntu 16.04

I tried to install octave-sundials on 16.04

LC_ALL=C sudo apt install octave-sundials

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

or been moved out of Incoming.

 octave-sundials : Depends: octave but it is not going to be installed

Perhaps my setting was wrong.

Please give me a clue to kick out the error.

Tatsuro

"Perhaps my setting was wrong" - yet again, Octave packaging system is broken.
It is broken because it wasn't properly spec'ed in the first place.

And this can clearly be seen from the copy-pasted by you messages:

"Building dependency tree" <-> "Some packages could not be installed" - where
is the EXACT list of packages that could not be installed in the light of
"Building dependency tree" ?

You and others can provide whatever particular solutions to concrete package
problems, but Octave packaging system is broken. And no squandering of
resources on Octave (qt) GUI can hide this fact.

The

"

octave-sundials : Depends: octave but it is not going to be installed

"

is a ridiculous error message - obviously any package for Octave depends on it.

--Sergei.