Re: Implementing advanced scientific calculator.

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Implementing advanced scientific calculator.
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 19:15:45 +0100

Le 18/03/2018 à 12:49, Sebastian Schöps a écrit :
However, improving the LLVM backend would be. However, this is a very difficult job and I am not sure if there is a mentor available. If a student is interested, then you may contact Julien.

Sorry, but I am not able to mentor a student on this.  Lack of time and skill...

My current knowledge of Octave's experimental LLVM-based JIT simply allows me to say that :

* In its current form, it doesn't accomplish much.  Only very simple loops can be compiled.

* As it is, LLVM 3.x with x <= 8 should be supported.  More work (perhaps not very hard) is needed to make it work with more recent versions.

* Even for the very simple loops that were initially working when the JIT was written by Max Brister, there are now some problems (exception handling and complex numbers, at least).

@++
Julien