Re: Implementing advanced scientific calculator.

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Implementing advanced scientific calculator.
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 10:45:26 -0700 (MST)

Dear Sergei,

Sergei Steshenko wrote
> Several years ago Octave package system was conceptually broken. It
> probably still is.
> If so, a probably useful task would to define first and maybe implement a
> new package system.
> Another useful feature would be to write Octave to Julia (
> https://julialang.org/ ) translator.
> Also, there is an interesting library to convert Octave code into C++ :
> https://bitbucket.org/cyrille/cauchy. I haven't tried it yet. If it at
> least somehow works and demands improvement, improving it would be a great
> thing.

the community has already created a website for this kind of recommendations
[1]. For example, it contains a project on the package system wich goes
beyond "it's broken, fix it". So, please add your proposals to [1] if you
like but if you do, then make sure that there is a mentor. By the way, I do
not see why it should be of interest for the Octave community to write a
translator from Octave to Julia?

Sebastian

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas.