Re: problem with xlswrite

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: problem with xlswrite
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:00:40 -0700 (MST)

PhilipNienhuis wrote
> grg wrote
>> PhilipNienhuis wrote
>>> grg wrote

> <snip>
>
>> Interface:          OCT  OCT  OCT
>> File type          xlsx  ods gnumeric
>> Numeric array p.1:   +    +    +
>> Numeric array p.2:   +    +    +
>> Numeric array p.3:   +    +    +
>> Numeric array p.4:   +    +    +
>> Cellstr array p.1:   +    +    +
>> Cellstr array p.2:   +    +    +
>>  ...special chars:   +    +    +
>> Boolean value    :   +    +    +
>> Formula read back:   +    +    +
>>   +  = correct result returned
>>   o  = partly correct (e.g., double rather than logical)
>>   -  = erroneous or no result.
>
> That looks good.
>
> Admittedly adding data to worksheets containing merged cells might be an
> issue with the OCT interface, never tried but as long as merged cell
> ranges
> do not occupy cells written to I think that should be safe. I am not sure
> if
> merged cell ranges do survive however, and if not it might be hard to fix
> that with the OCT interface.
>
> Could you please file a bug report (see:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/bugs.html) and attach to that report:
> - the xlsx file in question before you added the OUT_olci array. If it
> contains sensitive data, could you remove them and then check that the
> issue
> still persists?

I just had a little time to experiment with the OCT interface.
It turns out that adding data to a worksheet containing merged cells works
fine as long as you don't add data into merged cell ranges.
If you do add them into a merged range, the data in the merged range simply
don't show up in LibreOffice or Excel.

But that doesn't explain plain data loss.
So I'm curious to your bug report and spreadsheet file.

Philip