Re: problem with xlswrite

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: problem with xlswrite
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 05:36:03 -0700 (MST)

grg wrote
> Hi there,
>
> I need to report the results of an experiment in an excel worksheet that
> also contains additional information.
> I just need to fill in some of the cells in the worksheet and leave this
> additional information untouched.
>
> I'm using the following code:
>
> status = xlswrite (fnout, OUT_olci, input_parameters.sheet, "B5:H5");
>
> where:
> fnout is a string containing the name of the output file;
> OUT_olci is a 1x7 double array
> input_parameters.sheet is a string containing the name of worksheet
>
> The problem is that, after running my octave code when I open fnout with
> libreoffice, I find that OUT_olci has been properly written in the correct
> cells, but all the additional information has been deleted.

You mean that data is not just added but the worksheet in question has been
wiped first?
Are you sure that the sheet name matches? - it is case-sensitive. Just
asking ...

Some counter-questions:
- what operating system & version?
- which Octave version?
- which spreadsheet interface?

The io package contains some test scripts that contain checks on exactly
this sort of functionality. Just run:

more off
test_spsh

in some temporary directory / map / folder.
At the end of the process, test-spsh.m echoes info tho the screen that looks
like this:

Interface:          COM  POI  POI  JXL  OXS  UNO  OCT  OTK  JOD  UNO  OCT
OCT
File type           xls  xls xlsx  xls  xls  xls xlsx  ods  ods  ods  ods
gnumeric
Numeric array p.1:   +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +
+
Numeric array p.2:   +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +
+
Numeric array p.3:   +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +
+
Numeric array p.4:   +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +
+
Cellstr array p.1:   +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +
+
Cellstr array p.2:   +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +
+
 ...special chars:   +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +
+
Boolean value    :   +    +    +    +    +    o    +    +    +    o    +
+
Formula read back:   +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +
+
  +  = correct result returned
  o  = partly correct (e.g., double rather than logical)
  -  = erroneous or no result.

- End of test_spsh -

Please report back this info too.

Philip